Tuesday, November 17, 2009
checkout line
Yesterday I was at the store with my little girl while the oldest was a preschool. I tell you this because that means I was more relaxed. Otherwise I'm sure this incident wouldn't have happened. At the checkout I found my checker to be very grumpy. She was just radiating hate. I have been a checker and I know that sometimes it can get boring but "Wow" this girl was upset about her lot in life. My first reaction, I am sorry to say, was just to try and get out of there as soon as possible. I was starting to feel angry to. I started to feel mad at her for being huffy and making my morning bad. Then something changed for me and I had a new thought. . . "What if I stoped reflecting her emotion back and gave her a new one?" I started talking to her and asked her about her work and if she had to work "Black Friday." I tried to show her sympathy and kindness. By the end of our short conversation she was laughing a little bit and said a courteous "good-bye" to me. It was amazing. I walked away feeling that, even though I would probable be at home the rest of the day with my kids, I had at least put something good out in the world that day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment