Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Homemaker?

The other day when I was cleaning up after dinner my husband was filling out the insurance forms we received from his new job. He asked me what he should put for my profession. "Should I put Homemaker?" I don't know why but I suddenly felt very strongly about that word. I said "No. A homemaker is someone who works in construction. I am a Mother."
I do understand the thoughts behind the word homemaker. Homemaker is meant to be a good word describing someone who makes "just a house" into a home. I respect that. However, I feel like many different people do that. Single or Marred, a man or a woman make wherever they live into their home. All people tend to personalise were they live and keep it how they want. I have done that and will continue to make my house into my home.
My profession, what I have chosen to be the focus of my life, is being a Mother. The pay is not in money but still I would say it is good. What could be of more worth then the pure love of a child?

No comments:

Post a Comment